Farnborough Rugby Union Football Club (FRUFC)
The History of Farnborough Rugby Club
The Early Years.....
Farnborough Rugby Union Football Club was formed in 1914
and was originally known as the Royal Aircraft Factory (RAF)
Rugby Union Football Club.
The RAF became the Royal Aeronautical Establishment (RAE)
in 1918 and the Club changed its name to the RAE RFC. During
its early history, Club members were drawn from people working
at the RAE. During the 1939/45 war the RAE played a key
role in supporting the armed forces. As a result there were
always plenty of RAE workers in the area and the Rugby Club
continued to flourish.
During this period the Club even supplied players to wartime
England teams, in the absence of the many players who served
in the armed forces.
The association with what is now the Defence Science and
Technology Laboratory (a government agency under the umbrella
of the Ministry of Defence created from the remainder of
the Defence Evaluation and Research Agency when that body
was part-privatised to form Qinetiq) continues. Further,
with Aldershot and Odiham being close by the Club has also
benefited over the years from players and coaches drawn
from the ranks of the Army and the RAF.
The seventies saw Farnborough as a town become part of
Rushmoor Borough Council. An increasing number of players
did not work for the RAE and the decision was made to move
to Tile Barn Close and eventually become Farnborough RUFC
with a proper town identity.
Modern Cub for a Modern Game
Today, as ever, rugby union football remains the raison
d etre of the Club. Rugby at Farnborough is for all, three
male senior sides - firsts, seconds and veterans and a ladies
side as well as mini and junior rugby for under sevens through
to colts (including for children with special needs).
The Club also hosts the Hampshire Elite Player Development
Group (EPDG) run jointly by Hampshire RFU and London Irish
(with whom the Club is a Community Partner Club). Over the
last few years several Club junior players have been selected
for the EPDGs.
Floodlights were installed in 2009 covering the 1st XV pitch
and surrounding training areas, and are well used in the
dark months. Following achievement of RFU Whole Club Seal
of Approval (WCSOA) status in 2010, in April 2012 the Club
was awarded RFU Accreditation status (as one of the first
Clubs to so achieve). This is awarded for proven excellent
standards across all aspects of the Club playing and non-playing
(quality management, financial control, development planning,
As the largest community club in the Borough, the Club s
facilities are used by a range of other sporting clubs,
including Rushmoor Sunday Football Club, the Rushmoor branch
of the Disabled Sports Association the Mallards, and the
Dolphins Sub-Aqua Club, as well as non-sporting community
Further, the Club has formal liaison agreements in place
with local Colleges, including with Monday training sessions
and Wednesday matches running with the Farnborough 6th Form
College and other local Colleges. Liaison also takes place
with all local primary and junior schools, with rugby sessions
The Club runs a Summer Touch Rugby Programme to encourage
new people to become active at the Club. The Club also participates
in Council organised events for the local community. Rushmoor
Borough Council actively supports the Club in recognition
of our community values and contributions, including involvement
with the disabled.
Following a major clubhouse extension in 1999 and complete
replacement of the kitchen with modern facilities in 2010,
a major facility refresh took place in April/May 2015, This
involved complete refurbishment of the entrance hall and
main Club room including the bar, with all new decoration,
new modern furniture and carpeting, and improvements to
lighting, audio and visual facilities new projection and
big screen), and some improvement work in the lounge bar
(all new decoration and big screen TV).
The refurbishment was made possible by equal support from
local building company Total Build (http://www.totalbuilds.co.uk)
and the Rugby Football Union (RFU). The RFU selected the
Club as meriting a grant under the RFU s 2015 Rugby World
Cup (RWC 2015) Lead Up & Legacy Transforming Social
Spaces programme. Total Build matched the RFU grant £
for £, and carried out the work to complete the project
for the Club. This is in part within Total Build s generous
sponsorship of the Club. The Club is very grateful for this
support from Total Build, and looks forward to an ongoing
partnership to the benefit of both the Club and Total Build,
and indeed the local community.
This transformation of the Club s social spaces will improve
the quality of the rugby and social experience for everyone
using the Club, providing more playing opportunities - especially
for local people in the 14-24 age group, and importantly
providing a resource to be used by the local community.
The end product is a 21st Century and snug community environment
for all ages, male and female, for live televised sporting
events, for Club functions and hires by outside organisations
and members of the public. This will help the Club raise
its profile and encourage more players, volunteers and spectators
to share the special values that distinguish the sport.
The Club now has some of the best facilities in the area
that local people from Farnborough and the other towns and
villages in the surrounding area can use.
The Club does not stand still , and plans are advanced
for further extension to include additional changing rooms,
a larger main club room (which if necessary can be split
into 2 parts) and an improved shop.
Club facilities are available for hire at very competitive
rates. To hire the facilities please email firstname.lastname@example.org.